While the thermostat may seem like a very minor component of your home’s entire heating and cooling system, it actually plays a major role in making sure your HVAC equipment functions correctly – and it keeps you comfortable!
Knowing how to choose a thermostat for your home will help you select the right technology for your needs and your home’s unique features. The proper thermostat will control and maintain your chosen temperatures by reacting to fluctuations in indoor climate. By sensing the changes in temperature within your home, the thermostat activates the appropriate heating or cooling equipment.
Want to upgrade your existing thermostat? Here are our top tips for those wondering how to choose a thermostat that suits their needs:
- Consider which features you’re looking for in a thermostat. Do you want an easy-to-use, basic model? Or would you prefer a thermostat you rarely have to adjust? There are endless options on the market today, including programmable thermostats and smart thermostats that can take care of adjustments for you according to a predefined schedule.
- Determine your individual comfort concerns. The desired temperature and humidity levels in your home are unique to your family. Your daily habits will also impact the type of thermostat that is right for you. An expert can help you choose a model that best addresses your climate preferences.
- Think about energy efficiency. Choosing a programmable thermostat means that you will be able to control exactly when your heating or cooling system is on or off. Programmable models can help your household become more eco-friendly and really cut down your energy bills.
- Decide how many thermostats your home requires. Some homes have multiple furnaces and zones that can be controlled independently, which may require a special type of thermostat. You may also want to choose a model that comes with additional temperature sensors to keep a consistent climate throughout your home.
- If you’re interested in home automation, consider a smart thermostat that integrates with your existing devices or any devices you are looking to install in the future. For seamless climate control, opt for a model that works with the most popular smartphones and home automation hubs.
- Consult with an expert. It’s important to make sure that your new thermostat is compatible with your existing heating or cooling system. An experienced HVAC technician can advise you on whether or not your preferred thermostat will work, and can even take care of the installation for you.
Not sure which thermostat is right for your home? The knowledgeable team at Evam Canada would be happy to help you select the equipment that best suits your needs. We offer a range of manual, digital, programmable and smart thermostats that are compatible with all types of furnaces and air conditioning units. Contact us today for more information on the types of thermostats we offer.