Last updated on September 28th, 2021
One of the most common complaints we hear from home owners is about their loud hot water heater! There are many unusual noises that your hot water heater can make, ranging from popping and rumbling sounds to knocking, hissing and clicking noises.
Fortunately, there are many DIY tips you can use to help quiet your loud hot water heater and reduce those annoying sounds. Try the following to eliminate the noise, but remember that regular hot water heater maintenance and repair is key to preventing many of these sounds in the first place!
- Cracking or popping sounds can usually be addressed by flushing your water heater. A buildup of sediment at the bottom of your water heater can trap water beneath it and as this water heats up, it forces its way through the sediment, resulting in a cracking or popping sound.
- Knocking and banging sounds are often caused by pipes heating up internally. This noise is commonly referred to as “water hammering” and can be one of the most annoying sounds for home owners. While this does not damage your water heater, it can be quieted by installing a water hammer arrestor at the shut off valves of fixtures like your washing machine.
- A humming noise coming from your electric water heater is normal, but if it comes on suddenly or is very loud, you should call a professional for assistance. To address minor humming sounds, you can tighten the heating element in your water heater (don’t overtighten) to prevent vibrations.
- Screeching noises from you water heater can be caused by water under pressure being forced through or around an object. Typically, this noise is made when a shutoff valve is not completely open. Check the valve at your water heater, or at other fixtures in your home to ensure they are all completely open.
- Hissing sounds can occur after you have used a large amount of hot water, such as after a bath or shower or running the dishwasher on a heavy cycle. When hot water is used up, cold water re-enters the tank and can cause condensation to form on the outside of the tank. As this condensation drips down and hits hot parts of the water heater around the burner, you will hear a hissing sound. If this happens frequently, you may have an undersized water heater that does not meet your household’s needs.
Have you tried these DIY tips to deal with your loud hot water heater and still find it too noisy? At Evam Canada, we understand that these strange and annoying sounds can disrupt your comfort at home. That’s why our water heater technicians are on hand to diagnose your loud hot water heater’s problems and find a solution so you can enjoy peace and quiet.
Book your water heater maintenance or repair appointment online now, or give us a call at 1-905-624-5544 today.