Last updated on September 28th, 2021
It’s winter, and that means it’s home heating season. This also means that home owners need to be aware of potential carbon monoxide leaks within their home. Carbon monoxide is a difficult danger to detect, since it is a colourless, odorless and completely tasteless gas.
Produced whenever fuel is consumed, carbon monoxide can leak from your furnace, boiler, hot water heater and other types of appliances. While this is rare, it does happen and can be deadly for your family and your pets.
Carbon monoxide poisoning can be incredibly deadly simply because it is so difficult to detect. Many people don’t realize they have a leak until they start experiencing symptoms. Here are some tips on how you can protect your family this winter:
Get a Carbon Monoxide Alarm
An excellent way to protect your family from carbon monoxide poisoning is to purchase a CO detector. Available at many big box retail stores, these types of alarms are easy to install and reliable to use. Like a smoke detector, a carbon monoxide alarm will alert everyone in your home to a dangerous leak with an audible alarm.
Choose a model that simply plugs into an electrical outlet and also features a battery backup in case the power goes out. We recommend that you purchase a carbon monoxide alarm for every floor in your home for maximum safety, as well as one in the area where your furnace is installed. Keep in mind that carbon monoxide stays close to the ground as it is heavier than the air in your home. Therefore, you should install your detectors close to the floor.
Tip: Just like your smoke alarms, you should test your carbon monoxide detectors twice per year and replace the batteries.
Watch Out For Signs
Even if you have taken precautions and have installed carbon monoxide alarms in your home, you may still find yourself in a scenario where you are unaware of a carbon monoxide leak. So, you should understand the signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning to be prepared.
Someone affected by carbon monoxide poisoning will typically experience symptoms like weakness, dizziness, nausea, confusion, headaches and chest pains. With prolonged exposure, victims will become unconscious. Escaping the enclosed space of your home and seeking medical help should be your first step. Carbon monoxide poisoning is a serious illness that requires treatment, even if the symptoms appear to dissipate over time.
Prevent Leaks Before They Happen
The absolute best way to protect your family against carbon monoxide poisoning is to ensure your HVAC system is working properly. An inspection performed by an expert each year means that small problems can be taken care of quickly to prevent a dangerous leak in the future.
If your HVAC system is due for inspection and servicing, call Evam Canada today. We can make sure that all repairs are made and your equipment is functioning correctly to ensure you aren’t at risk!