It always seems to happen at the worst time – your gas furnace simply stops heating, and it’s freezing outside! You might find that your furnace is blowing cold air, or perhaps it isn’t blowing any air at all. In either case, you’re likely wondering how you can get it back up and running properly, and fast!
Luckily, there are a number of DIY steps you can take in troubleshooting a gas furnace with no heat. Evam Canada has created this simple checklist to help you through the no heat troubleshooting process:
- Check your thermostat. This may seem obvious, but if your thermostat is not set to “heat” mode, it won’t heat your home. Try turning the temperature up a few degrees at the thermostat to see if it triggers your furnace to blow hot air.
- Make sure the furnace is getting power. If the thermostat trick didn’t work, check to see that a breaker hasn’t been tripped at the panel.
- Some furnaces have a “reset” button located on the indoor component in your basement. Press the button to restart your furnace, which may resolve the issue.
- Check your furnace filter to see if it is clogged or dirty, which could be blocking air flow throughout the rest of your home. If it is dirty, replace it with a fresh filter.
- Go around your house and ensure all heat registers are open. If there is any furniture or clutter blocking the registers, clear it away as this can cause your furnace to work harder than necessary.
- See if the pilot light is out. When troubleshooting a gas furnace with no heat, the pilot light being out is a very common culprit, especially in older models. Re-light it if needed.
- Check the fuel supply source. Is the natural gas source turned on? A shut off gas supply valve will mean that your furnace cannot run.
- Examine your ductwork. Major holes or leaks in your ducts could make it seem as if your furnace isn’t producing heat at all. Repair or replace ducts as needed.
- Check the condensate line. Some newer furnace models will automatically shut off if a sensor determines that the condensate line has become clogged.
Completed the checklist but still have no heat? Evam Canada can get your home cozy and warm again in no time. Our emergency furnace repair services are available in Mississauga and across the GTA so you can restore your gas furnace back to working order.
To book your emergency service or repair appointment now, give Evam Canada a call at 1-905-624-5544.