Last updated on September 28th, 2021
Maintaining your home’s furnace is a simple task that should be performed at least seasonally in order to keep your furnace working its best. However, many home owners neglect to carry out this chore, and end up regretting it later when an unexpected furnace problem arises.
In order to make your life a little bit easier, Evam Canada has assembled this complete furnace maintenance checklist. Follow our checklist from start to finish, and you’ll have performed a thorough once-over of your heating equipment and better understand how to service a gas furnace. Don’t forget to turn off your furnace before examining any of its internal components!
- Check your thermostat for correct operation
- Vacuum around your furnace and all air registers in your home so air flow is not restricted by dirt and debris
- Remove any objects or clutter from around your furnace that could be restricting airflow
- Wipe down the exterior of your furnace cabinet
- Open your furnace and vacuum dust and debris from inside the cabinet
- Inspect and clean out the furnace blower assembly, including housing, blower wheel and motor
- Inspect, lubricate and replace the fan belt
- If you are comfortable, lubricate other moving parts to reduce friction and improve operation
- Check the heat exchanger for signs of cracks, rust or corrosion
- Ensure that the burner is clean and free of debris
- Check the flue pipe for corrosion or leakage
- Clean the pilot of dust and use an emery cloth to clean the flame sensor
- Inspect the furnace filter and replace if necessary (remember, this should be done every 2-months!)
- Check that the gas connection is secure and that there are no leaks at connections or valves
- Visually inspect the drain lines to ensure they are clear and draining properly, and clean the condensate line if necessary
- Check your home’s ductwork for any leaks, and seal if necessary
- During operation, listen carefully for unusual sounds that may indicate a problem
Should you notice any signs of damage, corrosion, rust or wear on any of your furnace’s components, we recommend that you call in an expert to assess the problem and recommend repair or replacement. An HVAC professional will also be able to perform a more thorough maintenance checklist, testing your furnace’s safety measures, electrical components and more.
Interested in having a professional perform this furnace maintenance checklist for you? The experienced technicians at Evam Canada are here for all your maintenance needs. We offer one-time and regularly scheduled furnace maintenance plans to help you prevent furnace problems before they happen.
To schedule your maintenance appointment, call 1-905-624-5544, or contact us online.