If you have an outdated central air conditioner or window AC unit that you’re looking to get rid of, you may be wondering what to do with old air conditioners and how to dispose of them properly. Since air conditioners contain chemicals such as refrigerant, it is essential that you dispose of the equipment correctly and safely to avoid harm to you and your family.
Ready to get rid of your older air conditioning unit? We recommend that you contact your local municipality for disposal guidelines before you do. Here are some additional tips:
- Contact your local recycling plant for advice on what to do with old air conditioners. They may have a special disposal site available to drop off your air conditioner if it is a window unit or smaller central air conditioning unit.
- If your window or portable air conditioner still works well and you’re simply upgrading to a new model, consider selling or donating it to someone in need.
- Call a junk removal specialist who deals with environmentally unsafe materials and/or appliances. You may be able to find a local specialist who can pick up and remove your air conditioner for a fee.
- Hire an air conditioning professional to remove the refrigerant safely from your AC unit. After removal, it may be safe to dispose of at a scrap yard or recycling company, depending on local regulations.
- Have HVAC professionals remove your existing air conditioner when they install a newer model. Many companies will include the removal and safe disposal of old equipment when you purchase new equipment and installation services.
Under no circumstances should you dispose of your outdated air conditioner in a landfill, recycling bin or dumpster. This can result in harm to individuals, animals and the surrounding environment. The types of refrigerant found in older AC models contains ozone-depleting chemicals that emit greenhouse gasses and are potentially toxic to anyone who comes in contact with them.
When you’re wondering what to do with old air conditioners, don’t hesitate to reach out to the HVAC specialists at Evam Canada. We are on hand to assist GTA home owners like you with all of their air conditioning needs.
Whether you simply need advice on how to dispose of your AC unit properly, or are looking to replace your old air conditioner with a brand new system, contact us online today, or call 1-905-624-5544 for an appointment.