A loud air conditioning unit can be an annoyance for home owners, but it can also be a key sign that there is something wrong with your equipment. It can be difficult to identify the exact cause of the sound, but many times an AC motor noise can cause your unit to become excessively loud and unbearable to run.
If you have noticed that your air conditioner is making more noise than usual, consider some of the following reasons why you’re hearing a loud AC motor noise:
- As your equipment ages, bearing and lubrication can wear down, causing the fan motor to become more noisy. A fan motor replacement may be required.
- A screeching sound from the outside unit of your air conditioner can also indicate that the fan motor bearings are worn. The fan motor will need to be repaired or replaced if you notice a screeching noise. A grinding noise is another key sound that is caused by worn out bearings in the fan motor.
- A squealing sound from your air conditioner can indicate that the fan belt which connects the fan and motor is worn or misaligned. Call a professional to replace the belt.
- A rattling sound may indicate that the motor in your compressor is worn out due to age. The worn compressor motor will gradually get louder over time.
- A humming sound from your motor could mean that it is not running at all. If it hums and won’t start, shut off your system right away to avoid further damage. This could indicate a bad start capacitor that requires replacement.
- Vibrating noises from the motor can be caused by bad couplings between the motor and the fan. Have a pro replace or adjust the coupling to resolve the issue.
Looking for an air conditioning expert to solve your AC motor noise problem? Evam Canada has trained technicians experienced in repairing all makes and models. Contact us today to book an appointment and we’ll get your air conditioner running like new.
To prevent AC motor noises in the future, consider a regular air conditioner maintenance plan to keep your equipment in top shape. Evam offers affordable service plans that give you peace of mind when it comes to your air conditioner, so it will always be ready to cool when you are.