Last updated on September 28th, 2021
When your hot water heater is not heating, your daily tasks like showering, washing dishes or doing laundry can be unpleasant. Hot water is an important part of our routine, and a disruption in your supply can really impact your day. You’ll probably look for the best way to get your hot water back up and running as soon as possible so you can enjoy a more comfortable water temperature.
Should you discover that your hot water heater is not heating water properly, try the following steps to address this common water heater problem:
- If you have an electric hot water heater, check to see if the circuit breaker has been tripped. Reset the breaker at the breaker box if this is the case to restart your water heater.
- Determine if the pilot light is out if you have a gas water heater. If it needs to be re-lit, consult your water heater owner’s manual for instructions.
- In gas water heaters, you can examine the gas supply valve to see if it is shut off or is damaged in any way. We highly recommend that you have an HVAC technician repair your gas supply valve if you suspect it is the cause of your hot water heater not heating.
- Check the thermostat to see if the temperature is set too low. The recommended temperature setting is typically around 120 degrees Fahrenheit, so adjust the dial to a higher setting if you find it is below the 120-degree F mark.
- See if the temperature and pressure relief valve is open or defective. When excessive water temperature is detected or extreme pressure builds up inside the water heater, this safety feature will shut off the unit entirely. A professional should be called to examine your water heater if this is the case.
- Consider draining your water heater tank to get rid of any sediment that has collected at the bottom of the tank. This buildup can impact the functioning of your hot water heater and over time, can deteriorate the inside of the tank itself.
- Contact an experienced water heater technician to troubleshoot and resolve the problem. If you’ve exhausted the steps above and still have not restored your hot water, you need the assistance of an expert.
If you find that your hot water heater is not heating and need a trusted HVAC company to handle your emergency water heater repair, Evam Canada is here to help. We’ll work hard to get your hot water heater working properly in no time at all! Contact us today to book an appointment or call 1-905-624-5544.